Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Techno Slave

Techno Slave or Not
I have been seduced by the new technology that I am being presented in this SPE 542 course (Technology for Educators). Wikis and blogs and Facebook and (unfortunately) Twitter have been touted as having merit within education. They provide huge potential for communication, expressing ideas and opinions, learning to respect and appreciate diverse viewpoints.

On the other hand, what about quiet thought? What about quiet observation? And what about REAL social interaction? These techie-gadgets (iPhones, Mini-netbooks, Blackberrys) have us linked to the outside world at every minute of the day. When a desktop computer is tied to your home, you can leave it, go outside and enjoy the outdoors. While outside you can reflect on the world around you, compose thoughts and return with a sense of wonder and/or awareness. All of this is not possible if you are looking at the screen in front of you while under the canopy of a spectacular forest.
I find myself having to check my Google Reader, Twitter, Facebook and even the course module site at ANGEL Learning constantly so that I don’t fall behind on my reading or postings. I wonder how much of this is really necessary.
Let me be clear, I am not anti-technology. I like having access to so much information and so conveniently. I simply have a lot of questions now that I have been exposed to how quickly technology is shifting, growing, changing and how it will be implemented in the classroom.
I find myself asking,
· “With all my logging into different sites and reading blogs and articles about technology, how am I to assimilate all of the information that I am taking in and translating it to a lesson?”
· “Would a periodic Twitter update help parents to feel involved?”
o “How would these updates affect my time teaching?”
o “Would parents appreciate it?”
· “Would parents like to see their students in front of the computer each evening blogging and posting discussions on-line, knowing their kids are keeping up with the most current technology?”
o “Would parents prefer to connect one-on-one with their kids and see all that they are learning translated into a truly human social connection?”
· “Will all my future special education elementary school students be in class with a laptop in front of them?”
o “Why would we need to meet at a school at all?”
o Is this where we are headed?
I may not agree with
Will Richardson’s blog posting on Techoslavery completely, it bears a look by anyone who is interested in this discussion /my personal conflict.

1 comment:

  1. Roxanne,
    I know that you will find that balance between the outdoor experience and technological experience, because there are benefits to both-they do not need to be mutually exclusive. Finding that perfect balance is tricky-and would probably be different in each classroom and for each teacher. I am still working to find that balance-and as I look at starting two new online courses this week and two face to face courses, I worry about where that line will be. I cherish the unplugged time from my computer-the only time I am truly unplugged is when we are in Maine at our vacation house...because it is then that I am not distracted by the constant hum of the hard drive in the background.

    Has Twitter rally been touted as having merit within education? I am not so sure about that-I think Twitter might like for it to be true, but much needs to change with Twitter before it can be taken seriously. Nonetheless, it is worth examining, because as with anything, knowledge is power. If you take the time to learn the tools, then you can make informed decisions about those tools. I love that you have so many questions about the role of technology in schools-this critical thought is an integral part of the process. Your questions lay the groundwork for great essay!

    Mia

    ReplyDelete